T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) just announced several important world´s first milestones for standalone architecture (SA) 5G, the company said.
These achievements, using the Un-carrier´s newly built 5G core, bring T-Mobile closer to taking its nationwide 5G network to the next level. In tech terms, SA 5G will eliminate the need for a mid-band LTE anchor, cutting out some of the limitations experienced today. Simply stated, it´s the future of 5G. SA will allow 5G to reach its full potential by increasing coverage and laying a foundation for game-changing applications that can utilize blazing fast speeds, real-time responses and massive connectivity.
Inventing the future takes a village, so T-Mobile partnered closely with leaders across the industry to notch several “world-first” achievements:
– The first SA 5G data session between commercial modems from two suppliers on a production network with Cisco, Ericsson, MediaTek, Nokia and Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
– The first low-band SA 5G voice call using Evolved Packet System (EPS) fallback to VoLTE with Cisco, Ericsson, MediaTek and Nokia. This enables high quality voice services utilizing VoLTE in the SA architecture while the industry is fully developing voice over new radio (VoNR) 5G technology.
– The first low-band VoNR call on a production network with Cisco, Ericsson, MediaTek, and Nokia. VoNR allows for voice calls to run over 5G.
– The first video over new radio (ViNR) call on a production network with Cisco, Ericsson, Nokia and Qualcomm Technologies. ViNR allows for high quality video calls to run natively, instead of an Over the Top (OTT) data service. In other words — no app needed!
– Several 5G firsts with a commercial smartphone on a production network, including the first low-band SA 5G data session, first call with EPS fallback, and first VoNR & ViNR calls. These were pulled off alongside Cisco, Ericsson, Nokia, OnePlus and Qualcomm Technologies.
All of these milestones were achieved with T-Mobile´s new multi-vendor 5G production core on the Un-carrier´s commercial nationwide 5G network, and they pave the way for the Un-carrier´s launch of standalone 5G later this year.
T-Mobile US is America´s supercharged Un-carrier, delivering an advanced 4G LTE and transformative nationwide 5G network that will offer reliable connectivity for all. Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile, Metro by T-Mobile and Sprint. For more information visit: http://www.t-mobile.com.