Alitalia upgrades to new Sabre IT system to boost revenue, drive customer benefits

Alitalia has completed an IT system upgrade, switching from Arco to Sabre (NASDAQ: SABR), which is set to generate an increase in additional revenues for the airline and improve customer service, the company said.

The company said the introduction of the new system is part of the overall business restructuring plan to place the airline on a sustainable commercial platform. Alitalia switched all reservations, check-in and critical airline operations allowing the company to deliver new services and link more effectively with Etihad Airways Partner airlines.

Alitalia said it expects to increase revenues, estimated at some EUR100 million per year according to Sabre benchmarks, driven by the sale of new ancillary services, optimizing inventory and availability, and also the introduction of new routes.

Società Aerea Italiana (Alitalia) is a large Italian airline that acquired the operational activities of Alitalia – Compagnia Aerea Italiana, now named CAI. CAI has a 51 percent controlling stake in Alitalia and the remaining 49 percent of shares are owned by Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates. Alitalia flies to 97 destinations, including 27 Italian and 70 international destinations, with more than 4,400 weekly flights.

Sabre Corporation is a technology provider of software, data, mobile and distribution solutions to the global travel industry. Sabre processes more than USD120 billion of global travel and serves customers in more than 160 countries.